SSI Venture, the retail subsidiary of Vail Resorts, is planning to shutter 19 retail and equipment rental locations in Aspen, Snowmass Village, and Telluride.
The Denver Post reports the move will cut 69 jobs.
“Before the 2022-23 winter season began, Vail Resorts Retail notified its employees and community stakeholders in Telluride and Aspen that it would be closing all of its retail and rental locations in Telluride and most outlets in Aspen at the end of this season,” Laura Bonfiglio, a spokesperson for Vail Resorts, told The Daily in an email.
The company is working with those who lost their jobs to find new employment opportunities within the Vail Resorts network, Bonfiglio added.
The following locations will be closed:
- Aspen Sports – Hyatt Retail Store
- Aspen Sports – Snowmass Mall
- Aspen Sports – St. Regis Retail
- Aspen Sports – Viewline Retail
- Aspen Sports – Snowmass Retail Store
- Aspen Sports – Demo
- Aspen Sports Tune – Snowmass
- Aspen Sports Valet – Snowmass
- Burton Telluride Retail
- Neve Sports – Telluride
- Patagonia Snowmass
- Telluride Sports – Camel’s Garden
- Telluride Sports – Cimarron Lodge
- Telluride Sports – Franz Klammer
- Telluride Sports – Gondola Plaza
- Telluride Sports – Main Street
- Telluride Sports – The Peaks
- The North Face – Snowmass
- The North Face – Telluride Retail
“As our leases in the Aspen area came up for renewal at the end of the 2022/2023 winter season, we needed to make a long-term decision regarding the future strategy of our retail operations in the Aspen market,” Glenn Stahlman, vice president and chief operating officer of Vail Resorts said in a letter to the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment about the Aspen Sports – Hyatt store closure.
“At that time, we decided to close down our retail operations in this market in order to focus company resources on serving our core retail markets.”
Stahlman sent similar letters for each of the other stores.
The majority of the first layoffs will occur on or about May 1, 2023, according to Stahlman.